Q. Is Ephinea really free to play?
A. Yes! We won’t charge to play on this server or even ask for donations to keep it going.
Q. Who runs the Ephinea server?
A. Ephinea was created by Sodaboy and Tofuman, lead developers of the Tethealla Project, an open source Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst Server. Ephinea is currently being administered by Sodaboy, Tofuman and Matt, the lead community administrator.
Helping the admins out are anime, Ender, MewPlushie and Ryan, your Game Masters and Forum Moderators.
Q. How long will the Ephinea server run?
A. The Ephinea server plans to run as long as there is interest in Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst.
Q. What is the vision for the Ephinea server?
A. Ephinea is a place to showcase the latest version of the Tethealla server, while at the same time trying to find a good balance between the vision of Blue Burst that SEGA had and some of our own changes we wanted to see made to the game. This means we’ll keep true to the original PSO formula and balances, while adding new features and conveniences to keep the game interesting.
- You now have a common bank in which you can make item transfers between characters.
- Multimode switches not requiring 2-4 people to activate.
- PSO2 style drops in which monsters and boxes generate items for each player, not for the whole party. Anything you see dropped can be safely picked up by you without a rebuke from the party, as no one else in the party can even see the item to begin with. You are free to trade items after pickup. (Optional system, you’re not forced to use it.)
- PSU style “Luck” system in which a combination of Race, Gender and Class flags will influence the drop rate of the game you create/lead. (Optional system, you’re not forced to use it.)
- A “Hunters Boost Road” system which lets you run featured quests to improve your drop rates in those quests. Useful for hunting items!
- A brand new “Hardcore” mode, in which a character you create will die permanently upon it’s first death without the use of a Scape Doll.
- Various quality of life commands, which can be found by typing /help in the lobby in-game.
We also feature Leaderboards, a Permanent Milestone Event, the ability to use a Japanese or an English client and have the entire game, including quests, show up in the language of your choice. (The interface will be in other languages like Spanish, French, and German in the future, but that is some time away.)
We also have a “Sandbox” mode. Read the following topic for more information on that: Is PSO old to you?
Q. What is currently implemented on the Ephinea server?
A. Most of Blue Burst is implemented, including Challenge mode! However, while playing, you may run into a bug or two, hopefully not very often, but, if you do, please remember to report it to the forum.
Q. Can you tell me more about Hardcore mode?
A. The Hardcore experience differs from the Normal experience in the following ways:
- Have 2x experience bonus.
- Have 2x rare enemy appearance rate in games created by them.
- Have a 30% increase in rare item drop rate in games created by them.
- Can join games created by Normal players.
- Cannot team with Normal players (but can create their own teams for other Hardcore players).
- When they die, outside of Challenge and Battle modes, they are dead permanently and the character is instantly deleted, unless they have a Scape Doll on hand. (Moon Atomizers and Reverser won’t save you.)
- Scape Doll appearance is significantly reduced in this mode and a Scape Doll can only be acquired by a random box or monster drop.
- Scape Doll rewards from quests are non-existant.
Note that the Hardcore bonus rates stack with temporary bonus rates for normal players, so at certain times you could benefit from a large bonus!
Q. Do you guys have a backup system in place?
A. Yes. This server is hosted “in the cloud” with a proven VPS provider. The data is on a RAID 10 mirror, we have hourly SQL database backups, and also daily off-site backups. We don’t “overwrite” our backups, so we keep plenty of point in time snapshots. If a catastrophic event happens, we could roll back as early as the previous hour up to 30 days.
Q. Can I download a copy of my data?
A. We believe your character data is your own, so we don’t see a problem with that and offer you the ability to do so. Just select “Download Your Data” from the main menu of this website. This way, you can backup the time you’ve invested in your adventuring onto your hard disk, a USB key, or even your mobile phone!
Q. I’m scared of rollbacks and total resets, will your server have a lot of these?
A. We will never reset. We also don’t imagine having to rollback data very often if ever. Should a catastrophic event occur, we’d take the server down and roll back to the earliest point of time before the event occurred, patch the problem, and then bring the server back up. You’d lose, maybe, an hour of work at the minimum.
Q. How can I sign up to play and/or download the client?
A. At the top of the Ephinea homepage, you will see links to download the game as well as register to play!
Q. Does this server have a common bank?
A. Yes, use the /bank command to access a bank shared between your characters. You can find more commands by typing /help in the lobby.
Q. My game crashes when I shoot a gun or when someone in the party performs a Photon Blast.
A. Change your Windows Operating System’s Data Execution Prevention settings. You can find your current setting by going to the Windows Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> “Performance” Settings -> “Data Execution Prevention” tab.
Select “Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only” or add an exception for Ephinea’s PsoBB.exe
Q. I’m having trouble installing the game. Is there another method to install the game?
A. If you’re having trouble installing the game with our automated installer, you can try installing the game manually by following these steps:
- Download the manual installer from here.
- Extract the downloaded archive into the folder of your choice.
- Double click on “install” or “install.reg”, depending on if you’ve hidden file extensions or not, to install some needed registry keys.
- Create a shortcut to “online”.
- Launch the game via the newly created shortcut. (You may have to run the game as “Administrator” for files to update properly.)
If you’re unable to launch the game or have some issues, try whitelisting the entire installation folder in your anti-virus program.
If your anti-virus program has deleted the executables for online, option or PsoBB, try disabling it and extracting the archive again.
There is also a “Readme” file bundled with the archive that has some additional troubleshooting steps. Please take a moment to read it.
Q. The display of the game looks weird.
A. If you’re running an ATI graphics card, be sure the Raptr overlay is disabled. This definitely causes problems.
Running the game in a widescreen resolution may also cause some visual anomalies as PSO was not designed with widescreen in mind. Setting a 4:3 resolution may fix that.
If you still have graphical issues, try disabling high resolution HUD and/or Advanced Effects.
If you’re still having display issues after all of the above, launch the game via “online_compat.exe” and see if that solves your problem.
Q. I get “Failed to update files” and/or I can’t select a resolution in “More”.
A. If you’re having problems updating the game’s client, try whitelisting the entire game folder in your antivirus program. Ephinea does not contain any malware or viruses, but sometimes our new executables can be flagged incorrectly by antivirus programs.
If you have no resolution options when you click “More”, right click “option” or “option.exe” in the game’s folder, select “Properties” and go to the “Compatibility” tab. Select “Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)” and “Run this program as administrator”.
Q. I keep getting disconnected with a “Client code integrity check failure” message. How can I stop this from occuring?
A. The Ephinea Phantasy Star Online Client has protection from unauthorized code modifications in memory. When this message appears, it has detected an edit to the code in memory. If you have not edited the code in memory, it is possible that you may have a virus on your machine, though this message can also appear when using an Xbox One Controller with the latest Microsoft drivers. Rejoice, though, as there is a fix available when using an Xbox One controller. Please refer to the following forum topic for more information.
Q. Help! I can’t type in-game!
A. Have you mistakenly enabled the IME option in the launcher? This option exists to give you the ability to type in Japanese on your system, provided you have the Microsoft IME installed with the Japanese language options installed. If you do not have the Microsoft IME installed with the Japanese options or you only need to type in English, please disable the IME option in the launcher and you will be able to type normally.
Q. I’m running Windows 10 and playing full-screen. How do I stop the game from hanging at the Ship Selection?
A. Go into the Option menu and uncheck “Advanced Effect” under the “Advanced” section of “Graphics”. Save your new settings and try again.
Q. My game seems very laggy, especially so when I attempt to talk in-game or someone talks to me, what’s the deal?
A. Your anti-virus software may play a role in this. We have heard of someone who had solved his lag program by allowing PsoBB.exe in his anti-virus software program.
A. ゲームの中で、Ship SelectからLanguage Selectを選び、Language Selectから日本語を選んでください。 そして、パッチサーバに接続します。
Q. Help! My characters appear to have been deleted!
A. Your characters are fine! We will never delete or tamper with players’ characters. Chances are, you’ve accidently switched your character slot page. Go back to the launcher and change the SLOT in the top-right to 01-04 to get your character(s) back.
Q. None of these questions apply to me, but I’m still having issues. Where can I go for further help?
A. Post your problem in the Technical Support forum and someone will try to assist you as soon as they are able to.